Skip to content

The Unitarian Chapel, Upper Brook Street, Manchester

An early Pugin chapel, roofless since 2005

(1837-9, Charles Barry, Grade II*)
The former Unitarian Chapel, later known as the Welsh Baptist Chapel is owned by Manchester City Council. It is the first known example of a Gothic nonconformist chapel and believed to have been an early collaboration between Sir Charles Barry and AWN Pugin before they worked together on the Palace of Westminster. Yet despite its national significance, the chapel has been neglected for decades, resulting in 2005 in the removal of its roof. The chapel is now open to the elements and largely a ruin. Despite this there is a glimmer of hope; the City Council is working on finding a tenant who is prepared to take the building on. Suggestions for its future have included student accommodation or a restaurant, but progress needs to be made soon or the city will lose an important part of its architectural heritage.

See the list entry for this building

Monday 11 October, 2010

More recent item: Old Fire Station, Court Road, Barry, South Wales
Earlier item: 30 Euston Square, London

© 2017 The Victorian Society
1 Priory Gardens, London W4 1TT. T 020 8994 1019. E (JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Charity No. 1081435. Company No. 3940996. Registered in England. Office as above.

Make an online donation to the Victorian Society processed securely by PayPal.


This website uses cookies. Please see our privacy page for details.