1920 A Day in Aldershot

Wednesday 28 August 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM

Price for single attendee: £60.00

Military Aldershot owes its existence to the military reforms of the 1850s, after the Duke of Wellington’s death. A training barracks near
open land suitable for large scale exercises was an obvious requirement. And so in 1853 Prince Albert and the new Commander-in-Chief Lord Hardinge selected an empty heath between Aldershot and Farnborough as a location, 8000 acres were bought the following year and work began. The plan was by Henry Clutton, buildings designed by the Royal Engineers and the contractor was George Myers. Several elements of the 1850s plan have survived, despite interventions in the 1950s and 60s. On this trip we are planning to visit some of the major 19th-century buildings remaining on the site including: All Saints, Royal Garrison Church (PC Hardwick, 1863), St Michael &
St George (Major Pitt & Lt Mitchie, 1892), St Andrew (Sir Robert Lorimer 1926-7, 1939), the Prince Consort Library (Capt Francis Fowke, 1859-60), the Smith-Dorrien Methodist Soldiers’ Home (Robert Curwen, 1908) and the Aldershot Military Museum (housed in the former Oudenard Barracks, rebuilt in 1894-6). As we drive around there will be an opportunity to see the exteriors of many other buildings
and war memorials, including the Wellington War memorial (a titanic equestrian statue by Matthew Cotes Wyatt, 1838-46, originally made
for the top of Constitution Arch), the three hospitals and other converted barrack buildings. Meet at Farnborough Main railway station
(the 09.09 train from London Waterloo arrives at 09.44 but check). £60 including lunch, and morning and afternoon tea and coffee. Booking required.*


Sessions


Event code: 1920

Please log in to book