With your ticket you'll be emailed a recording to watch at a time which suits you.
We're always looking for volunteers to put on events for us. Please contact us for more information.
Two churches on the Borders of Westminster and Chelsea - walking tour of St Barnabas, Pimlico and St Mary, Bourne Street led by Ken Powell on Thursday 29 July 2021 at 6pm
Thomas Cundy jnr’s church of St Barnabas, Pimlico (1847-50), listed Grade I in 1958, was described by The Ecclesiologist as ‘the most sumptuous church which has been dedicated to the use of the Anglican communion since the revival’. The church was actually preceded by clergy house and school (1846-47), also by Cundy, the latter being listed Grade II in 1970. By contrast, St Mary, Bourne Street (1873-74), designed by R J Withers, was a chapel of ease to St Paul, Wilton Place (by Cundy, 1840-43). Later alterations and additions (1925-27, 1947-48) are by H S Goodhart-Rendel, author of English Architecture Since the Regency (1953). It was listed Grade II* in 1970. Click here to book
JF Bentley churches in Notting Hill and Bayswater - walking tour led by Peter Howell on Saturday 7 August 2021 at 2.30pm
John Francis Bentley’s first work was not a complete building but the highly accomplished additions he made to St Francis of Assisi, Pottery Lane (1860), a church of 1859-60 by Henry Clutton. Bentley had been Clutton’s assistant and his addition of the Lady Chapel, porch and baptistry in 1861-63, benefitted both the church and Bentley himself, for, following his conversion to Roman Catholicism in 1862, he was the first person the be baptised there. The church was listed Grade II* in 1969. St Mary of the Angels, Moorhouse Road (1857), is another church where Bentley made additions. Begun by Thomas Meyer (1851-52) in a Puginian Gothic style, and completed by Clutton (1857), it was built as a mission church for the Irish Catholic labourers building nearby Paddington Station. The church was greatly enhanced by Bentley in 1864-87, who added an outer north aisle (1897), as well as a similar south aisle and Lady Chapel (1872). The church was listed Grade II in 1970. Click here to book
Woolwich Garrison Church and St Peter the Apostle, Woolwich - walking tour led by Geoff Brandwood, Tim Barnes and Father Michael Branc on Saturday 21 August 2021 at 2.30pm
The Garrison Church of St George, Grand Depot Road (1862-63), is a remarkable Early Christian/Romanesque polychrome church by Thomas Henry Wyatt with wonderful Salviati mosaics. Bombed in World War II, it has recently received a truly exemplary restoration under the Royal Greenwich Heritage Trust which has cared for the building since 2016 and who engaged Skillington Workshop Ltd (the historic building repair and restoration specialists) to restore the building. It is listed Grade II. Our guide will be Tim Barnes, Chair of the Trust, who will explain what has been done and the various discoveries made. After his talk we will visit Augustus Welby Pugin’s first London church, St Peter the Apostle, Woolwich New Road (1842, 1845-46), with a chancel and side chapel by Frederick Walters (1887-89). This was the first Roman Catholic Church to be dedicated since the Reformation and was built to serve the interests of the Catholic soldiers from the Barracks as well as the needs of the local Catholic community. It is largely intact as Pugin designed it. The presbytery (1849) is also by Pugin with larger additions (1870) by E W Pugin, who also built the school (1858). The church and school are listed Grade II. The tour will be introduced by Father Michael Branch, the Priest at St Peter’s. Click here to book
Ealing Queen of the Suburbs - bicycle tour led by Elain Harwood on Sunday 26 September 2021 at 1.15pm
Join us for a meander through the streets of Ealing to the Brentham Garden Estate (1901-15), which predated Hampstead Garden Suburb, looking at a wide variety of C19 & C20 villas, churches and municipal buildings, including: the Town Hall, New Broadway (1888), by the local board surveyor, Charles Jones; the Fire Station, Uxbridge Road (1932-33), by Evan Morgan; St Benedict, Ealing Abbey (1895-97 and 1905), by Frederick & Edward Walters; St Peter, Mount Park Road (1889-93), by John Dando Sedding & Henry Wilson; and
St Barnabas, Pitshanger Lane (1914-16), by E C Shearman & Ernest A Tyler.
Attendees need to bring or hire their own bikes and be confident road users.
Click here to book
West Yorkshire Victorian Society events - to book please contact [email protected]
A Town Centre Walk in Pontefract on Saturday 14th August at 11am. Janet Douglas will lead a walk around the Victorian core of Pontefract, including the Carnegie Library with its Art Nouveau details, the Market Hall (1859-60, James Wilson) and the “church within a church”, All Saints, (1838 Chantrell). £5
A Walk in Huddersfield on Saturday 16 October at 2pm. David Griffiths will lead a walking tour, starting at St John’s, Birkby (Butterfield 1855) and including Edgerton Cemetery, with its listed monuments, and the early Victorian suburb of Highfields, the subject of his latest
Victorian Society events are publicised to members below and in the 'Blue Sheet' with our mailings in February, June and October. Some require booking, others you can just turn up on the day.
For events organised by our regional groups, please see the regional group pages: