​Darlaston Police Station (1899-1902, Charles William Davies Joynson) successfully listed

Following Victorian Society caseworker Tim Bridges’ application Historic England has listed the building and the attached railings at Grade II.

Darlaston developed rapidly during the 19th century due to the boom in its mining and metal industries. A municipal centre developed in the late 1800s which featured a new town hall, fire station and purpose-built police station.

The new police station was built between 1899 and 1902 in Crescent Road and replaced an earlier station in a house. It was designed by local architect Charles William Davies Joynson (1862-1943), who designed several chapels and schools and other notable buildings in Wednesbury where he was mayor from 1898-1900.

The central section of the building is flanked by two pedimented wings which feature terracotta blocks and windows with moulded terracotta surrounds to the gable ends. There is a substantial entrance in the right wing, in the style of Norman Shaw’s New Scotland Yard, with blocked half-columns and a segmental pediment featuring the words ‘POLICE STATION’ in moulded lettering.

Following Victorian Society caseworker Tim Bridges’ application Historic England has listed the building and the attached railings at Grade II.

14/04/2022


© 2017 The Victorian Society

1 Priory Gardens, London W4 1TT. T 020 8994 1019. E [email protected]

Charity No. 1081435. Company No. 3940996. Registered in England. Office as above.

This website uses cookies. Please see our privacy page for details.