A guided tour of Loxley Cemetery by the Friends of Loxley Cemetery

There are some magnificent and interesting monuments in the cemetery, as well as 22 victims of the Great Flood of 1864 and a connection to the Titanic. The cemetery contains over 5000 graves. Loxley chapel and cemetery date back to the late 18th Century and the cemetery is still open for burials in existing plots, although no further plots are being sold. The chapel closed in 1993 with the building gradually deteriorating into a ruinous state over the years. The churchyard, which surrounds the chapel on all sides, had become seriously overgrown. 
 
The Friends of Loxley Cemetery have spent the last 4 or so years clearing the very neglected cemetery, and it’s now almost all visible. The chapel has a long history; it was constructed in 1787, with the first recorded baptism being in 1798 and the first recorded burial in 1806. They have records for burials, baptisms and marriages.
 
Walking round the cemetery – There are no facilities at all at the cemetery – no toilets and not even shelter from the rain, so please come dressed for all weathers and bring some water to drink. The main paths are easy to follow, but only the drive from Loxley Road to the chapel has a hard surface. The paths can be muddy and slippery at times, and we will be walking up some uneven steps, so it is advisable to wear sensible footwear. Also please watch out for trip hazards – fallen gravestones, hidden dips and holes in the ground, hidden stones, tree stumps, brambles and ivy roots. Although the volunteers do their best to keep the cemetery clear, nettles and brambles grow at an alarming rate! 
Please keep away from any cordoned-off areas, especially around the chapel ruins; also, please keep at least 15m away from any volunteers using power tools. Some of the headstones on the graves may be unstable – take care!

Ticket Price: £5
Date: July 11th, 2026
Time: 2 pm
Venue: Loxley Road, Sheffield, S6 6RL - View on map
Book