Edited by Teresa Sladen and Andrew Saint. In the third issue of 'Studies in Victorian architecture and design', our topic is the most important buildings the Victorians built: they were talked about more than any other building-type and they took up more space in the architectural press. Now out of print.
The Puginian and High Victorian phases of church architecture and decoration have now been intensively studied. But the later Victorian and Edwardian period, equally rich in ecclesiastical art, is not yet so well understood, despite the legacy of a few fine and familiar architects like Bodley, Sedding and Temple Moore. These were years of less certainty and unanimity about the styles and purposes of church-building, greater caution in restoration and much thought and activity in the enrichment of existing fabric.
The essys in this issue of Studies in Victorian architecture and design arose out of a lecture series held in Autumn 2006, which aimed to go beyond the usual monographic approach by tracing some general patterns of artistic development in church-building and decoration between 1870 and 1914, as well to celebrate some noteworthy and beautiful churches and their contents. All the contributors have spent years in the study of churches, and many have long been active in the work of the Victorian Society.
The late Victorian church? Andrew Saint
Between medievalism and the Counter-Reformation: Catholic church building after Pugin Peter Howell
Welsh chapels 1859-1914 Julian Orbach
Arts and Crafts churches Alan Crawford
Byzantium in the chancel: surface decoration and the church interior Teresa Sladen
Accommodating ritual display: episcopal monuments 1896-1915 Philip Ward-Jackson
Women and church art Lynne Walker
The architecture of good taste: Anglican churches in 1914 Gavin Stamp
Published October 2010.
The publication of this third volume of Studies in Victorian architecture and design has been made possible by a generous bequest from Eliot Hodgkin (1905-87), for many years a member of the Victorian Society, and is dedicated to his memory.